Monday, December 27, 2010

First Snow

December 27, 2010 — The first snowstorm of the season, reaching blizzard proportions in many areas, came roaring up the East Coast over the past 48 hours. Highways became impassable and air traffic was almost at a standstill, stranding thousands of holiday travelers. The snow started falling in my New Hampshire community about 4 p.m. yesterday and accumulated to about 10 inches overnight, far from the two feet that buried some areas to the south. I shoveled out late this morning while a light snow was still falling, but it stopped shortly after and the sun came out, but the temperature was falling rapidly.

As I write this, it's 14 degrees with dangerously high winds. The wind is causing me some concern, because a power outage at these temperatures, if prolonged, could have serious consequences. Last February, winds took out power for 68 hours, but fortunately temperatures were above normal at that time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment