Friday, August 5, 2011

"Arms and the Man"

August 4, 2011 — I really want to give this play a good review. The sets were beautiful. Two intermissions were required to facilitate the extensive scenery changes. The 19th Century Eastern European costumes, from society women's gowns to peasant dress to military uniforms, were no less than stunning. Add to all that the fact it was George Bernard Shaw's best-known and most popular play.

The play was staged at Peterborough Players in Peterborough, New Hampshire, and featured Players regulars Karen Peakes in the female lead role as Raina, Dale Hodges, Sevanne Martin and Kraig Swartz. The play is set during the Serbo-Bulgarian conflict, a two-week war that took place in 1885. It's a comedy and a satire, containing Shaw's biting commentary on love and war.

In spite of all its good intentions, and the fact that I've rarely been disappointed by a Peterborough Players production, I must say this was not among the best I've seen this summer, and I can't put my finger on just what it was that disappointed me. I think it could have been played with more energy. The comic aspect of the play just wasn't being delivered effectively.

Besides the aforementioned actors, also appearing were Tom Frey in the male lead role as Swiss soldier Bluntschli, Richard Rosenthal and Ryan Farley. Michael Dell'Orso was outstanding as Major Petkoff, a perpetually confused army major.

No comments:

Post a Comment