Friday, July 13, 2012

"Big River"

July 12, 2012 — The musical "Big River," based on Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn," has played in New Hampshire summer theatres several times in the past few years but it never appealed to me. I thought turning this classic American novel into a musical was somewhat of a desecration. Also, the songs are all original, and I tend to find greater pleasure in songs that are familiar to me. But when "Big River" showed up on the playlist of the Barnstormers in Tamworth, one of my favorite theatres, I decided to give it a look-see.

I ordered a ticket and first drove to Meredith on Lake Winnipesaukee on a steamy, hot afternoon, typical this summer. After dinner in Meredith, I made the half hour drive over to Tamworth to see the play. My preconceptions of it couldn't have been more wrong. In the hands of the gifted Barnstormers actors and directors, it was a delight. The songs, although unfamiliar, were all excellent as performed by a talented cast with great voices. The orchestra was fine, although occasionally the drums seemed to come in at inappropriate times and were a bit jarring.

The play follows the novel fairly closely, using much of Twain's dialog. Jordan Ahnquist was Huck Finn. His friend, the escaped slave Jim, was played by De'Lon Grant, and Patrick Scott Minor appeared as Tom Sawyer. Long-time Barnstormers regulars W. Clapham Murray, Elaine Anderson, Penny Purcell, Jean Mar Brown, Robert Bates, Dale Place and a large cast of supporting actors appeared. I should give special mention to Doug Shapiro, one of the funniest men in New Hampshire theatre, and Jim Burkholder as the duke and dauphin. Several actors played multiple roles.

I'll never again assume I'm not going to like a play before seeing it. "Big River" is wonderfully entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment