Sunday, February 17, 2019

Ice Harvest & Winter Carnival

February 16, 2019 — In all the years I had been going to the Barnstormers Theatre in Tamworth, New Hampshire, I had never taken a tour of the Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm, just a block up the street from the theatre. When I heard the farm was having its annual Ice Harvest & Winter Carnival, I thought that might offer some good photo ops, so I headed up there.

The day was cold, but I was expecting that, and dressed in layers. There was abundant snow on the ground, something we haven't seen much of during this remarkably snow-free winter in the southern portion of New Hampshire. There was a mix of sun and clouds with occasionally gusty winds.

Activities included ice cutting from a small pond at the farm. Visitors were invited to participate, cutting ice out in blocks which were then slid along a chute to be loaded onto pallets towed by oxen to the ice house for storage. There were various demonstrations of cold weather tenting, ice boat operation, ice sculpture and, of course, a tour of the museum.

Photography was challenging because of sun glare and sharp contrast between darkly-clothed people against glistening snow. But, with a little help from Adobe Photoshop on my PC, I was able to improve upon what my camera had difficulty with. You can see the results at this link:

https://www.linwoodstreet.com/wintercarnival/

No comments:

Post a Comment