Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Straw Hat Revue"

June 9, 2011 — The day was sweltering, mid-90s with storm clouds building, when I left for New London, New Hampshire. Violent storms were roaming about the state and power was out in many areas. Radio bulletins were advising people to seek shelter and keep away from windows. I was wondering if this trip was foolhardy, but I had a reservation for the 54th Annual Red Hat Revue at the New London Barn Playhouse, and after the second day in a row of temperatures in the 90s, I just wanted to get away for a few hours.

About five minutes from home, the weather caught up with me. The wind picked up, lightning flashed and thunder roared and the rain was coming down almost horizontally. The temperature dropped from the mid-90s to mid-60s in minutes. I eventually rode the storm out, and by the time I got to New London, the rain had stopped, clouds had thinned and it was refreshingly cool. I had time to kill, so I strolled around the picturesque college town for awhile. I had dinner at my favorite New London restaurant, Peter Christian's Tavern.

The Barn's "Red Hat Revue," an admission-free performance that launches their summer show season each year, was excellent. It featured songs and dance numbers from Disney, Broadway shows and Gershwin, performed by a very talented young cast of twelve. The orchestra was also excellent, better than average for summer stock theatre, but a little overpowering at times. Overall, a great evening's entertainment, and the price was certainly right. A bonus: the New London Barn is air conditioned for the first time this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment