Friday, July 22, 2011

"A Life in the Theatre"

July 21, 2011 — It was by sheer coincidence that I scheduled two David Mamet plays in a row. A couple of nights ago, it was "Race" at the Weathervane, tonight it was "A Life in the Theatre" at The Barnstormers in Tamworth, New Hampshire.

This is an unusual play, short with no intermission, with two male actors. In contrast to the intense drama of "Race," this one is mainly a comedy. It follows an older actor who has spent his life in the theatre and a young actor through a series of frequent scene changes as they engage in dressing room conversation, rehearsals and performances. The costume and scene changes come rapidly, some lasting less than a minute. The older actor has a delicate ego and a need for praise and the young actor is usually careful in their conversations not to bruise that ego. However, their relationship becomes more acrimonious as the play progresses.

I really liked this play, but I got the impression the audience just wasn't getting it. There was only scattered laughter at scenes I thought were hilarious. When the lights went down on the final scene, I overheard someone behind me say, "I hope this is the end." There was polite but not very enthusiastic applause at the curtain call. I guess you could say the play is not for everyone.

Buddy Haardt was very good as the young actor, and I thought George Piehl's portrayal of the older actor was the best summer theater performance I've seen so far this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment