Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"Man of La Mancha"

July 12, 2011 — It had been several years since I attended a play in the Inter-Lakes High School auditorium, home of the Lakes Region Summer Theater which ceased operations several years ago. A new theatre company, Interlakes Summer Theatre, has now taken up residence in the same auditorium, located in picturesque Meredith, New Hampshire, on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee. I attended many performances of the old Lakes Region theatre with my mother, who shared my love of live theatre, and returning brought back pleasant memories.

Tonight's presentation was "Man of La Mancha," a well-known play to many, but it was the first time I had seen it, and I was favorably impressed with the production. A talented cast, led by Scott Sowinski as Cervantes/Don Quixote and Sheira Feuerstein as Aldonza. Sowinski, tall and rangy, was a perfect choice for his role as the prisoner Cervantes, forced to act out the wildly improbable exploits of Don Quixote. His serviceable baritone voice was pleasing, but sometimes slightly forced. Feuerstein was excellent as the fiery Aldonza. She was the better singer, with a fine soprano voice. Short, chubby Cody Strand was a hilarious Sancho.

Stagecraft and production values were top-notch. I look forward to returning regularly. I was pleased to see the new company retained the previous company's custom of having all the actors line up to greet the audience as they depart at the end of the play. A very nice touch.

2 comments:

  1. Scott Sowinski is one of our country's finest actors and singers. Nothing about him is forced. Not sure where your perspective is coming from, Bob, but I can assure you most people find him incredibly talented and brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with above comment.

    ReplyDelete