Friday, June 22, 2012

"The Complete History of America (Abridged)"

June 21, 2012 — I was looking forward to the drive north in the air-conditioned car on the second day of temperatures flirting with 100 degrees. But if I had any hope I'd find relief in New Hampshire's lakes region, that hope was quickly dashed. Stepping out of the car by the boardwalk at Meredith Bay, I was smacked by a wall of hot air that was stifling. Still, not to be denied a stroll around one of my favorite New Hampshire spots, I walked through Hesky Park to the Inn at Bay Point, across the highway to Mill Falls for a pass through the many gift and crafts shops, back to the boardwalk and a stroll in the opposite direction, admiring the expensive boats docked along the way, past the outdoor diners at the Town Docks, ending up at Church Landing, a luxury resort with a beautiful view of the lake.

By the time I got back to the car, even though it had been a slow walk, I was dripping with sweat. I drove up the hill to Hart's Turkey Farm for supper and a cooling off period. After supper I made the ten-minute drive over to Weirs Beach where I had a reservation at the Winnipesaukee Players. I had some time to kill, so braving the heat once again I took a stroll along the famous Weirs Beach boardwalk to the home port of the M.V. Mount Washington, the huge party boat that plies the lake from May through  October. I had a brief conversation with one of the boat's security officers who told me it was just as hot out in the middle of New Hampshire's largest lake as it was everywhere else.

Back at the Winnipesaukee Players, I was finally comfortably seated in the air-conditioned theater to enjoy "The Complete History of America (Abridged)." Played on a stunningly cluttered stage that looked like an attic where someone had been storing their discarded junk for several centuries, the play is a slapstick view of American history from Amerigo Vespucci to the present in 90 minutes. Puns, sight gags, corny jokes, some inspired, some silly, some bordering on tasteless, are delivered by three male actors, Shabazz Green, Alex M. Jacobs and Kevin Killavey. I recommend the play. In such an unrelenting barrage of gags, a few are bound to fall flat, but most produced genuine belly laughs. Overall, it was a very enjoyable evening, and a hilarious start to my 2012 summer theater season.

No comments:

Post a Comment