Saturday, June 30, 2012

"The Importance of Being Earnest"

June 30, 2012 - Oscar Wilde's play about deception, mistaken identities and merry mixups rivals the Shakespeare comedies. I had booked a motel and made the three-hour drive to Williamstown, Massachusetts to see "The Importance of Being Earnest" at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. The play has been on my must-see list for years, but has never before been staged within a day's travel. When I heard it was playing in Williamstown, I thought this is it, I've got to see it.

The Williamstown Theatre Festival on the Williams College campus is a large, very comfortable theatre with excellent viewing from all seats. Having made my reservation on short notice, I ended up farther back from the stage than I'm accustomed to. I could see all right, but I was out of my best hearing range and missed a line of dialog now and then. That's unfortunate, because you don't want to miss any of Wilde's brilliant dialog.

In the play, mobsters from America who have made their fortunes through activities of questionable legality have relocated to London where they have found a home in British upper society, far out of the reach of American authorities. I won't go into all the plot details here, but suffice it to say the two male leads, in an effort to please their lady-loves, concoct fictitious brothers, false names, and other deceptions. When they get tangled in the web of their own making, the results are hilarious.

Multiple Emmy award-winning actress Tyne Daly was at the top of her game as family matriarch Lady Bracknell. Other key roles were masterfully performed by Louis Cancelmi, Glenn Fitzgerald, Amy Spanger, Helen Cespedes, Marylouise Burke and Henry Stram, along with a competent supporting cast.

The sets were beautiful and elegant, Overall, the play was a memorable theatre experience.

After the play, I had supper at Hobson's Choice, my favorite Williamstown restaurant. I spent the next two hours strolling around the charming college town with its old stone buildings, some standing since Williams College was founded in 1793. It's very warm this evening, but comfortable after the intense heat of the day. Tomorrow I'm driving down the road to Pittsfield for the Berkshire Charity Auto Show. I hope this great weather holds another day, although I wouldn't complain if it cooled off by about 10 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment