Wednesday, August 15, 2018

"And Then There Were None"

August 14, 2018 — In 2005, The Barnstormers Theatre in Tamworth, New Hampshire presented Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians." Last night, again at the Barnstormers, Christie's "And Then There Were None" was staged with a fine cast of eleven, directed by Barnstormers' artistic director Robert Shea with a sumptuous living room set designed by Sarah Rozene and costumes by Mary Selvoski.

I've long been a fan of Dame Agatha's work, and was delighted when I learned there was yet another of her plays I hadn't seen, "And Then There Were None." But as the play progressed, it was looking more and more familiar. I soon realized this was the same play presented in 2005 under the title "Ten Little Indians." That was a slight disappointment. I felt I had been deceived. But I had forgotten much of it, and I had no recollection of how it ended with another of Christie's patented surprise twists. And the acting was first-rate, so by the end I decided this was an evening well-spent after all.

When I got home, a Google search confirmed my conclusion that the two plays I saw were one and the same. Originally written as a novel, with a title that contained a racial slur I will not repeat here, the title was changed, eliminating the objectionable slur, and was changed a few more times throughout its history. Christie even changed the ending when it was re-written as a play.

To sum up this baffling play, eight individuals have been invited by a Mr. Owen to a resort on an isolated island reachable only by boat, each one lured by offering something of interest to their particular occupation or position, a doctor, a police officer, a judge, a spinster, etc. A butler and his wife are already there, having arrived earlier with an offer of employment. They inform the others Mr. Owen hasn't arrived yet.

Having a conversation after dinner the first evening, the group is interrupted by a recording accusing each and every one of causing the deaths of others under varying circumstances. The butler, who had no idea what it contained, said Mr. Owen left him orders to play it. Then, over the next couple of days, the guests start dying one by one, some by poisoning, some by particularly gruesome means. They first suspect Mr. Owen, whoever he is. But when a search of the premises and island turns up no Owen and no possible hiding place, they conclude Owen is one of them. But who?

Finally, there's a tense confrontation when only two remain alive, each believing the other is the killer. But are they really the only two? Remember what I said about Dame Agatha's surprise twists.

Appearing in this production were most of the Barnstormers' regulars at the top of their games. They were Doug Shapiro, Anne-Marie Cusson, William R. Johnston, Madeleine Maby, Robert St. Laurence, Buddy Haardt, George F. Piehl, Dale Place, Jean Mar Brown, Robert Bates and Jordan Reeves. The audience was delighted with the play, and so was I. I got over the resentment over being fooled into thinking it was a play I hadn't seen. It had been thirteen years, and I had forgotten enough so I could enjoy it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment