Wednesday, August 29, 2018

North Shore Motor Sports Museum

August 24, 2018 — I just learned about the North Shore Motor Sports Museum from an article in Thursday's Union Leader of Manchester, New Hampshire. The subject of the article was a 1906 Stanley, on loan to the museum. The photo and description looked exactly like the Stanley I photographed at the 2013 Bonny Eagle Car Show. The boiler had failed and was scheduled to be replaced while the car was at the museum.

I decided I had to see the car and confirm it was the same one I saw at Bonny Eagle, so I headed for the museum on Route 106 in Loudon, New Hampshire, near the New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Upon seeing the Stanley up close, I was even more convinced it was one and the same. I opened my 2013 Bonny Eagle page on my iPhone and showed it to a museum official, and he confirmed it was indeed the one. He also identified my photo of the owner, taken in 2013, as Coburn Benson. After boiler replacement, Benson would be invited to take it for a few laps around the track.

I found the museum fascinating, even though race cars are not my primary interest. All the cars crowded into the museum had a New England connection, and details about the cars, owners, drivers and racing history were posted at every car. There was also lots of other racing memorabilia, such as trophies, uniforms, photos, etc.

A trip to the museum will be rewarding for any motor sports enthusiast. You can see my photos at this link:

https://www.linwoodstreet.com/motorsports/

No comments:

Post a Comment