Friday, May 21, 2021

Tank Demo Weekend

May 16, 2021 — I'm really broadening the scope of my so-called "Vintage Cars" page. I'm wondering if I should change the name of it to "Transportation Page" or "Anything That Moves Under Its Own Power Page." My most recent series is an exhibit and demonstration of military tanks. In the past I've included not only cars and trucks, but trains, airplanes, boats and even horses.

The Tank Demo Weekend at the American Heritage Museum in Hudson, Massachusetts was a demonstration of tanks speeding around a dirt track, along with exhibits of arms and other equipment and memorabilia from both world wars, with re-enactors dressed in authentic uniforms on hand to answer questions.

An announcer gave a running commentary on the tanks and other activities throughout the day. A highlight was a talk by a 97-year-old former tank gunner in Patton's Army in World War II. I can only hope I have his energy, humor and memory at that age, assuming I make it that far.

All three museums in the complex were open, American Heritage, Historic Aircraft and Classic Car Barn (ah, that makes it a legitimate entry in my Vintage Cars Page). There's video of the tanks and excerpts from the World War II vet's commentary, along with photos of the various military displays, and links to my visit to the American Heritage Museum in 2019 and the Aircraft Museum and Car Barn in 2015. You can see it all at this link:

https://www.linwoodstreet.com/tankday/

No comments:

Post a Comment