Saturday, August 14, 2021

The Ice House Museum

August 7, 2021 — I had just learned of The Ice House Museum in New London, New Hampshire, when a Boston TV station did a piece on it. It had antique cars, mostly Fords, and a wide variety of memorabilia from the early 20th Century.

I was fascinated by it, so I drove up to New London to have a look. I had been to New London many times over the years, being a regular patron of The New London Barn Playhouse. I always loved the town, home of Colby-Sawyer College, but never ventured off the main drag. The Ice House Museum is off a side street, so I had never seen nor heard of it. The museum doesn't do much promotion or advertising to make itself known.

The museum houses Bill Kidder's collection of automobiles and Americana in several buildings. There are antique Fords, mostly Model A's and T's, and a variety of tools, toys, auto parts, horse-drawn carriages, a blacksmith shop and much more. Guided tours are available, or you may roam about on your own. I recommend a tour because the information you'll get out of it is invaluable.

You can see photos and a video from my tour, partially guided and partially on my own, at this link:

https://www.linwoodstreet.com/icehouse/

No comments:

Post a Comment