Friday, June 29, 2018

Hemmings Great Race

June 27, 2018 — The 2018 Hemmings Great Race is being
run from Buffalo, New York, to Halifax, Nova Scotia, a distance of 2,300 miles in nine days. I caught them at a lunch stop at the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Owls Head, Maine. One hundred and fifty cars arrived over a period of about two hours. This is the third time I've been present at a Great Race, once at the end of the race, once at the beginning and this time for lunch.

This is the ultimate car show, with a stunning variety of cars of all ages (they're required to be 1972 or earlier), colorful and plastered with decals. Driver-navigator teams, some beginning to show signs of fatigue, all hungry, are mobbed by spectators as soon as they arrive. Oldest cars I noticed were three 1916  models. There were many from the '20s and '30s. They stick around for a couple of hours, so there's ample time to admire the cars and talk to the teams. Crowds of spectators make photography a bit challenging, but I've had plenty of experience with that.

As always when I travel to Owls Head and stay overnight in neighboring Rockland, I take some photos around picturesque Rockland harbor, then at Owls Head I always walk through the museum in case something new has been added since my last visit. You can see all this, the cars, and a video montage of activities at:

https://www.linwoodstreet.com/greatrace18/

No comments:

Post a Comment